Smell, Hear, See – When to Call an Electrician

Do you smell burning, hear a buzzing from the electrical panel or see flickering lights? Your home may be talking to you, sending you messages that it is time to call an electrician. Knowing the signs can prevent a dangerous situation that might lead to electrocution or property damage. Here is a quick list of warning signs that you have an electrical malfunction that warrants a call to your electrician.
  • Burning Odor – If you notice a burning odor coming from any outlets or switches, turn the power off at the electrical panel. The problem could be a faulty device or a wiring overload problem. Any burning smell signals a potential electrical fire so, Contact Roy Spittle Associates to inspect and find the cause of the odor.
  • Flickering Lights – This could be caused by several things, so check for a loose bulb or one that is old. If replacing the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, consult a licensed electrician. Flickering could signal an outdated or overused electrical system. It could also indicate damages to fixture wiring.
  • Buzzing from Outlets/Switches– If you hear a low buzzing sound coming from the outlets or fixtures, or if either are hot to the touch, call an electrician immediately. There is, most likely a problem with your device or loose wiring in your circuit box. Both issues should be checked by an electrician.
  • Tripping Circuit Breakers – Frequent circuit breaker trips indicate an overloaded system or faulty wiring. They are designed to trip if the system is overloaded. So, if your toaster, hair dryer or other device trips the breaker often, make an appointment for an electrical check up.
  • Mild Shocks – Static shocks from walking on a carpeted surface are common but not a concern. However, if you feel a mild shock or tingle when touching an appliance, a ground fault in the appliance or improper electrical wiring may be the cause.
Keeping your electrical system in good repair is one of the most important things you can do to preserve the safety of your home. If you encounter any of these smells, sights, or sounds call Roy Spittle Associates to solve your electrical problem.